Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Popping ankles

So most days around 1pm you will find me laying down beside Austin trying to get him to take a nap. This routine consists of a small drink, turning on his fan for white noise, reading 2 books and sometimes listening to his music mix that I burned for him. After about 10 minutes, I will whisper, "Austin" and he will usually be out cold but there have been a few times he replies with an irritated, "what"? When he doesn't answer, I get up very slowly, and it never fails....my ankles pop like crazy! They don't always wake him up but trust me, there have been enough times it has happened that I am blogging about this annoying occurrence. Since the popping occurs during movement I am sure there is nothing I can do to make it stop...it is just annoying. Here is a little info on the cracking of joints just in case you are bored!

Retrieved from http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/joint.html
Your joints can make a variety of sounds: popping, cracking, grinding, and snapping. The joints that "crack" are the knuckles, knees, ankles, back, and neck. There are different reasons why these joints "sound off".

Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.
Movement of joints, tendons and ligaments: When a joint moves, the tendon’s position changes and moves slightly out of place. You may hear a snapping sound as the tendon returns to its original position. In addition, your ligaments may tighten as you move your joints. This commonly occurs in your knee or ankle, and can make a cracking sound.
Rough surfaces: Arthritic joints make sounds caused by the loss of smooth cartilage and the roughness of the joint surface.



post signature

3 comments:

Jessica said...

my knees pop like that all the time...i sound like an old lady when i too, try to sneak out of camden's room after rubbing his back in the middle of the night.

Kayla said...

weird.... :)

Jay said...

same thing happens to me. Jefferson can sleep through a thunderstorm that wakes me up. But if i go check on him in the middle of the night, it never fails, my knee pops and he wakes up. very strange...