Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Parenting is your Highest Calling


I am not big on posting inspirational stuff but felt like I needed to share what was on my mind this afternoon. Our youth minister at church sent out an e-mail advertising a book and teleconference today. I think I may have to get to the bookstore TONIGHT and get the book. My eyes are totally opened right now and I am glad our minister sent this to me. Leslie Layland's book, Parenting is your Highest Calling and 8 other myths that trap us in worry and guilt.

My children have enriched my life so much these past 4 years but at times I have been hard on myself. I worry and have guilt when I go to work instead of staying home, go get a pedicure, didn't talk to them as nice as I should have, didn't play with them enough, etc. As moms we are hard our on ourselves and strive to be the best mom, Christian, friend, wife, you name it. Listening to some of Leslie's videos this afternoon reminded me that our children are here to fulfill the purposes of God. We get to be a part of helping shape their lives. That is so cool. Parenting is challenging but is so worth it. God formed and created our kiddos and they are here to serve Him, not to make me happy!!!!! Okay, I am headed to get this book when Vivian gets up from her nap. It just might be the first book I read after having Vivian. :)


post signature

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Okay, let me know if this is worth reading.

Natalie Hudkins said...

Sounds cool April! Let me know how it is and maybe lend it to your old pal...

Jay said...

Sounds like a good book. Is it about parenting in general or more geared towards mothers? I do think there is, for me that is, guilt from fathers about working the long hours and not spending that time kids desperately need.
I did read a book recently that really opened my eyes as why our kids do some of the things they do. And about how they want more direction in the world than suffocation from the world.