Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pantry Challenge

Nick and I were doing our beginning of the year budget on Sunday night and we discussed getting back into the habit of doing a two week menu. This helps with only going to the store every 2 weeks instead of every few days when I realize I am out of something for a recipe I want to make or try. I talked about going through our pantry and freezer and making meals out of the items we have already bought. I was able to make a menu for 2 weeks out of the ingredients in my pantry and freezer except buying a little produce of course. A few weeks ago one of Austin's friends said, "You have a lot of food". I didn't really take that as a compliment for some reason.

I didn't know there was a specific name to this method until my friend Jay told me about the "pantry challenge" today. I buy stuff all the time because I can't remember if I have it, it's on sale, or because I like to have extras because we use a lot of it. Have you done this challenge before? How long could you eat strictly out of your pantry or freezer if you had to? We are on day 3 so I will let you know how it goes.

post signature

2 comments:

Jessica said...

i've often wondered the same thing "how long could we last off of our pantry?", but then when i try to think of what i could make with what's in there, it never sounds very appetizing.

Natalie Hudkins said...

Good challenge. I am always missing just one or two ingredients...